Snowden Community Council
August 4, 2016
Council Members Attending: Lance Beckman, Bob Connor, Roger Gadway, Timi Keene, Janet Turner. Council members absent: Judy Kleisch, Lloyd Olson, Tom Montag
Meeting called to order at 7:01 p.m. at the Cherry Lane Fire Station
Century Link representatives Barb Young, State Legislative Director – OR and Bill Muncey, Lead Project Engineer, attended following a request generated by
- FCC cost modeling project for the Connect America Fund (CAF) qualifies the area to the Sleepy Hollow switch with maximum 10 mgs. up/ 1 down of fiber optic service.
- Construction already begun with anticipated completion October/November. Initial phase: Bates to Bristol to Echo Glen (all county right- of-way) ending 8/19/16. Secondary phase: Snowden north of Bates intersection to Tunnel. Beyond Tunnel will be aerial line. Road stems from Snowden, including Acme, will be included.
- Fiber optic line should remedy current congestion on Bates (now measured at 1.5 mgs. up). Number of mgs. are always conditional upon: a) distance from switch (begins to drop off 2 miles from switching) and b) number of users.
- No additional installation cost to residence for fiber optic service if current CL telephone customer; areas with C-wire will be limited.
- Monthly service cost unknown at this time as special introductory rate plan(s), if any, have not been announced yet.
- Most recent iteration of CAF which – became available after Snowden project approval – includes funding for up to 25 mgs. requiring grant reapplication, an extended timeframe and possible project denial. Cost prohibitive for CL to increase current project to 25 mgs. at this time without additional funding.
- Prior to seeking CAF funding for 2016 project, CL tried for over two years to reach a lease agreement with Sawnet to no avail.
- Barb Young’s counterpart for WA, located in Olympia, is William Bridges.
- Tentative service availability to begin in late November. Residents will be notified upon project completion.
Beginning balance : $1192.00 Donations July: $22.00 Ending balance 8/4/16: $1,192,00
TECHNOLOGY COMMITTEE – No report.
KCFD#3 REPORT – Commissioner Connor: Cherry Lane has inherited a “new” brush truck from Husum following their receipt of a recent model.
CPR/FIRST AID CLASSSES – Those assembled determined that the fall classes should be combined 1st Aid and CPR with tentative dates of Oct. 22nd and 29th. Timi will contact Trainer Mike Renault to confirm.
COMMUNITY SIGN: Timi suggested a sign combining KCFD#3 and Snowden Council information at the Snowden-Jewett Crk. Lp. Rd. intersection with materials paid for by Council and installed by KCFD#3. Council agreed that she pursue the concept with Chief Long and report at the next meeting.
Donations Collected: $15.00
Meeting adjourned at 8:10 p.m.
Timi Keene, Acting Secretary